Kathy Pantaleo is doing an exciting project with the portable lab in her Grade 6/7 class. The students had already completed an endangered animals poster, and upon returning to class after the winter break have begun creating a Public Service Announcement-like podcast to feature their animal.
Students are using pictures of the artwork they created for their poster and images they've found on-line and are planning to use them as images in their Garageband creation.
We spent a good part of the day fine tuning the music and sound effects that students wanted to include, and then sent them off to record the script for their chosen animal.
Some things to consider:
- 30 or 60 second PSAs are a good length to work with.
- Preparing the script beforehand is a real time saver.
- Speak more slowly and carefully than usual when recording the commentary.
- Students can use a Flash drive if they plan to continue working at home.
- "Ducking" will help the vocal track stand out.
There is also this great podcast tutorial (Parts 1, 2 and 3) you can look at for more help.
(For some other interesting ways to use this technology, check out both this site and these examples.)
Problems viewing the final product?
Here are some tips.